You Don’t need Many Gardening Tools for Container Gardening!
The great thing about
is that you don’t need a whole host of Gardening tools to run and maintain a successful food-growing garden.
You can spend as much or as little as you choose on tools.
Obviously there are a few basic essential tools that you will need, and find yourself using all the time, such as a watering can, but virtually all tools can be improvised with substitute items – see the list lower down this page.
There are also some other tools that you may not automatically think of, but might consider.
I’ve compiled a list of suggested tools below for you to consider, to help plan ahead.
Essential tools for container gardening:
1. Pots & containers (You won’t get far without these!)
2. Watering can
3. A small trowel or 3-pronged fork (using fingers can hurt after a while!)
4. Compost scoop – for scooping compost into pots fertilizer or feed
5. Seeds? – not sure if these are classed as a tool – but you can’t do much without them! So they’re on the list!
Extra Tools that might make life a bit easier
in no particular order…
* A table to do your potting on.
* Secateurs – like Scissors, only better. Gives a cleaner cut to protect the plants when trimming / pruning.
* A dibber (thingy for poking holes in the soil)
* Dust pan & brush and/or broom (potting can be a messy business)
* Bamboo canes (if growing climing plants)
* Composter (somewhere to put your used soil?)
* green waste bags
* Tool tidy or mini-shed to keep everything together
* Fleece and bubble wrap – to protect plants from frost
* Soil sieve
Ostentatious luxuries! (but worth considering!)
* Potting shed
* Garden waste shredder
* kneeling pads
* Access to a strong friendly neighbour for help in lifting those heavy pots onto the potting table!
Improvisation of gardening tools
A lot of the time, you don’t need to go out and spend good money on tools. Quite often they can be improvised with ordinary every day items:
Item Improvised Substitute
Pots & containers Almost anything that can hold soil!
Dibber Pencil / broom stick / your finger?
Trowel Old cutlery
Tool tidy Cardboard box
Compost scoop Flower pot, margarine tub, cut coke bottle